25 November 2010

Gratefully Yours

Happy Thanksgiving!
Here I am at nearly 2:00 in the morning. I'm finishing up the pies for our family gathering ... a process that was restarted after our one year old lab, Frankie, helped himself to the first attempt. I keep forgetting how big he's getting and that he really can reach up on the counter. Yet, I am grateful that we have him in our lives and for the many smiles that he brings us. I'm also grateful that our 12 year old dog, Oscar, tolerates the puppy and that the two of them can play nicely together. They are surely a fun pair to watch.

So as my Thanksgiving Day begins, I find myself reflecting on the many blessings that I enjoy. On Tuesday I was visiting with a friend whose daughter is working very hard to live her #2 dream as the owner of a bakery. She decided to open the business when her Mr. Wonderful had not yet arrived by her 30th birthday. I, on the other hand, cannot imagine my life without this house full of gentlemen and the wonder that they bring, day by day. (And I thank my lucky starts that they haven't turned my hair gray just yet.) I am grateful that I get to have one more holiday season with all of them at home. It's not quite what we had planned, but I'm glad for it nonetheless. Soon enough my babies will begin leaving home, but for today I will savor in their presence. How very blessed I am in this alone, and yet it is only the tip of the iceberg.

As I spy the scar on my arm, I am grateful for the wisdom and skills of doctors...one knowing when to refer me to someone else and another having the talent required to deftly remove a rare tumor (twice) and get me quickly on the road to recovery. And for the patience of my parents who were less than thrilled that the news did not reach them as quickly as it should have.

Oh...and the timer rings. Time to take those last two pies out and head off to bed for a little rest before the adventures of the day begin. Another blessing there...a nice, warm, soft bed to crawl into when your work is done.

May your heart be filled with gratitude for your own blessings today, and every day.
 

1 comment:

Piepee said...

Hope it was a fantastic day!

If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart!

If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart!